Saturday 8 March 2008

Introduction

Well, I've decided to conform to the masses and start my own blog. I'm Rachel, 20 years old, currently living in good old Sheffield. At the moment I obviously won't have many interesting things to say, but as I'll be going to Japan for my study abroad from September, I figured I might as well start now. Procrastination might be another reason...

As a second year at Sheffield University, majoring in Japanese Studies, my third year is one spent abroad, to help improve my spoken Japanese, and experience the culture first hand and all that. I'm obviously looking forward to it very, very much, and I'm slowly getting through the remainder of my second year with the thought that eventually, I'll be able to go to Japan.

I've only been to Japan once before, for 3 weeks in Summer, and I spent very little time by myself, so being independent in another country whose language is not my native tongue will be a good experience for me, albeit a challenging one. I'll be going to Seijou University, a small, private university situated in south-west Tokyo, with one other person from my course.

But obviously before that, I have to pass the final exams in the second semester. Although the results are not out until next Thursday, I already know that I've passed the first ones (relief!) and that I didn't do too badly. I'll just have to make sure I keep up with the studying. Well, do more than I'm doing currently, at any rate...

I do have one thing to keep me going for a while, and that's the fact that for Easter, I'll be going to Japan once more! Admittedly, I am a dirt poor student, as many university students are, but with some help I managed to scrape together enough funds to get there, and hopefully do some fun things too. I fly from Heathrow at 6:40am on Friday (crazy time, I know!) and arrive on Saturday 15th March, again ridiculously early. But I'm not going to complain!

And when I come back, I'm sure there'll be lots of studying, essays, presentations and Japan Society (of which I'm a committee member) things to do to keep me busy. Speaking of which, I have kanji screaming to be done.

Joy.

1 comment:

rena said...

Hi Rachel.
I'm planning to do an exchange year in japan and seijo is one of my university's partner institutions.
I like the fact that seijo is quite a small university but I have some questions about housing. Other (bigger) universities provide cheap housing and on seijo university's homepage is just written students will be offered accommodations outside campus. So what kind of choice do you have as exchange student and how much do you have to pay for accommodation?
Since your exchange year already ended can you give some advices or tips and how was it at seijo?
thanks in advance!